This book primarily focuses on the life and times of Mary Seacole. Mary Jane Seacole was a British-Jamaican businesswoman and a pioneering nurse. She was an amazing woman and is known as one of the greatest black Briton’s.
Aunty Mary was born in Kingston, Jamaica. She was the daughter of a Jamaican woman and James Grant, a Scottish Lieutenant in the British Army.
Aunty Mary used traditional Jamaican and West African herbal remedies to nurse people back to health. She travelled the world treating and healing people along the way. She helped people in Panama, Russia, Jamaica and in Great Britain.
Aunty Mary wanted to help as a nurse in the Crimean war. She was refused because she was black so she travelled independently and set up a hotel to help the wounded soldiers on and off the battlefield.
The black History Activity Books stimulate the imagination and curiosity of the reader to use critical thinking and problem-solving to complete the books. This book uses a range of activities that cover the following:
• Science (Healing Properties Of Herbs, Herbal Remedies & Recipes, Introduction to Viruses) • Maths (Adding, Counting, Number Order, Multiplication Equations) • English (Creative writing, Spelling, Reading & Comprehension) • Geography • Visual Memory • Matching & Sorting • Colouring by Number • Colouring • Drawing • Mazes • Dot to Dot • Spot the difference • Crossword • Word Search • Quiz
The Black History Activity Books use a range of activities to help the learn in a fun and exciting way. These activities exercise the brain and memory as well as a range of benefits that:
• Increases / Boosts
– Retention – Engagement – Emotional Intelligence – Observation Of Detail – Patience
– Critical Thinking – Cognitive Thought Processes – Hand-Eye Coordination – Communication Skills – Vocabulary (Language / Learning)
– Risk Taking – Focus – Right Brain Thinking – Following Instructions
– Positive Emotions – Stress – Hidden Emotions